Being a regular sponsor
HOW TO BECOME A REGULAR SPONSOR ?
YOU WANT TO MODIFY YOUR SPONSORSHIP?
REGULAR SPONSORSHIP IN PSE MEANS..
► A non-personal sponsorship, in a concern of fairness towards the supported children, to avoid differences in treatment between the children and not to add supplementary imbalances or injustices to the already difficult conditions of our children.
► ...and without an individual contact with the sponsored child. It also prevents some children from dreaming of spending their future life in their sponsor's country. We want our children to "blossom" in their own country and contribute to its boom and development. ...Of course, the sponsors are welcome in our Center. They may come and see how the programmes are running, enjoy with us all the smiles and see by themselves how grateful the children are.
| ► ... BUT our commitment is to have a direct link between the number of children and the received sponsorships.
We don't want the sponsorships " to fall into an undifferenciated whole " or " in an indefinite mass " and we are keen on maintaining a direct link between the sponsor's donation and "one supported child". This link is the direct allocation of all sponsorships to the taking care of the children. The number of the children in our programmes is linked to the total amount of the sponsors' contributions., which must cover at least 80% of the costs of our children programmes.
The sponsor contributes on a regular basis to the support of one child (or several children):
- He is free to choose how much he wants to contribute and on what periodicity. This one is usually monthly, but can also be quaterly, semi-annual or annual.
- His commitment is moral: if necessary, the sponsor, of course, is free to stop his contribution at any time.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST ?
In order to understand this cost and its evolution over the time, it seems important to remind that the association's resources are mostly in € and its expenses in $. The cost of caring for the children is strongly dependant on the exchange rate evolutions and may change depending on the years, with unchanged costs and effectives.
This average cost corresponds then, for the fiscal year 2010-2011 (exchange rate 1.38$/€) to:
€37 /month for a child in General Education
€88 /month for a student in Vocational Training (and one in Higher Education still more)... it means a little more than twice the cost of a child in General Education
€36/ month, on average, for a child in "Protection-Accommodation" or in the Specific Programmes.
Once again, and we are very eager on it, even if the support is non-personal, our commitment is that the number of children in the various programmes remains linked to the amount of the sponsors' contributions.
The sponsor gives the regular contribution of his choice. We remain free to distribute the welcoming of the children into the various programmes.
A sponsor can join with several people to support one child. He may also choose to support several children.
WHICH PART OF THE SPONSORSHIP GOES TO THE CHILDREN ?
All collected donations as sponsorships are allocated to the children's programmes. These include:
- Education: Remedial (catch-up) schooling, "normal "schooling in state schools and preparatory classes
- Vocational Training: to bring the children to a skilled job and give them access to a decent life
- Nutrition: because nobody can study with an empty stomach
- Medical care
- Rice compensation, given to families to make up for the lack creted by children attending school instead of "working" and bringing in money
- Extracurricular activities: they are part of the Education, are essential for the children's blooming and above all, they allow to prevent that, having nothing to do, they turn towards "dubious" activities since poverty give them no access to youth activities.
- Protection and Housing in the boarding house and the students' residence, or with foster families
Certain children benefit from "Specific Programmes", in addition to their "basic programme":
- Drug counselling centre
- Psychological follow-up centre
- Rehabilitation centre for young people who find themselves in a situation of total failure and/or de-socialized
- Dressmaking programme for older young girls who are prevented from studying if they do not bring money home to the family
- Academic support programme
- Classes for disabled children and for intellectually challenged children
Overheads, fund-raising costs included, amount to around 6 to 7% of our expenses. Therefore, 93 to 94 % of the sponsors' contributions are directly allocated to the caring of the children.
DOES THE SPONSORSHIP ALLOW FISCAL FACILITIES ?
In the countries where we are present and where the fiscal law allows it, we are entitled to give our sponsors the possibility to benefit from the tax provision related to donations to officially approved charities.
WHO ARE THE BENEFICIARIES ?
They are the children discovered and selected by PSE's social team, in Phnom-PEnh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, following the criteria defined by the association: extreme poverty, children who are obliged to work under difficult and dangerous conditions (scavengers, children who pick up water greens, etc...), children who never went to or dropped out of school, children who suffer from violence.
Priority is given to the girls who are the most vulnerable for dropping out of school, violence or prostitution.
We also take care of children with a physical or mental handicap when we meet them in our families because we don't want to exclude the poorest among the poor. However, as far as possible, we try to find for these children an external solution such as specialized NGOs.
HOW IS THE SPONSOR INFORMED ?
Four times a year, each sponsor receives the PSE newsletter, so that he can follow what becomes of the children, know how the programmes are developing and what are the association's news. He can find, among others, topics like "Know your children" and "What has become of them?" which present the record and the personality of children in our programmes. The sponsor can also access to all information on the association's website.
HOW TO BECOME A REGULAR SPONSOR ?
Please fill in our request for sponsorship: sponsorship form and send it back to us. If you live outside France, please contact the antenna of your country.
A tremendous challenge that PSE cannot carry out without the commitment of sponsors. Each smile of our children is more than million words. Thank you !